Yesterday I spent the day cleaning the apartment from top to bottom. I made a menu for two weeks, a shopping list that would fit our budget, and worked on youth group. Last night, after youth group, and still pumped up on adrenaline, I went grocery shopping.
I've been grocery shopping late before, but it was when I was in college or needed one or two things. This time, it was full-fledged grocery shopping. They were restocking the shelves as I was there, so I had to maneuver my heaping cart around mountains of boxed food. But, I didn't have lines, crabby people around me, or my children ripping food off of the shelves or crying. I was tired, but I was out of the house and relaxed. I didn't get to bed until long after 1 AM. How's that for overtime?!
Sometimes I feel like my job as homemaker doesn't make sense to anybody (except my husband). Then, if I put it into job terms...this IS what I do:
- Community Skills Trainer
- Event Coordinator
- Fiscal Manager
- Menu Planner
- Chef/Nutritionist
- Home Health
- Sanitation Specialist
- Counselor for Youth & Family
- Teacher
- Spiritual Advisor/Pastor
- Graphic Arts Designer
- Curriculum Developer
- Bible Scholar
Okay, that's a self-booster for me. All that plus overtime, nights and weekends expected.
But, I love what I do. I get to create play out of normal activities for my children, and teach them how to live in this culture. I wouldn't trade that in for the world.
{Day 26}
Justice plays in the winter coats tub.
I have been so impressed with how Grace and Justice have been learning and growing up. Yesterday, out of the blue, Grace said, "1, 2, 3, 5"
"No, Grace, 4," I said.
"Yeah, 5, 6, 8"
"7."
"7, 8, 9, 10."
I have not been working exclusively with learning how to count, but just doing it in passing. My, how she soaks everything in! She knows her colors, and lately she's been learning the alphabet.
Justice has now learned to pull himself up into the standing position, finger-walk (in fact, he prefers it over crawling), wave and say "buh-bye" and "hi." Now he learned how to throw his cup over his high chair tray and exclaim, "uh-oh!"
And I can't take the credit (though I wish I could)! First, I give God the glory for the amazing love and gifts that He's given my children. Then, I think about the loving people they are around all the time. Daddy, Grandmas and Grandpas, aunts and uncles that work with my children, teaching and playing with them. They learn the alphabet when they are babysat, and get books read to them. They get to play and learn with people who love them. There is never a dull moment. What a BLESSING!
{Day 27}
Grace playing with her Alphabet flash cards that daddy got her,
and Justice staring intently at the camera, knowing that it will flash.






No comments:
Post a Comment