Friday, April 3, 2009

Getting Down with Martha Stewart


Finally, some creative inspiration hit me. I haven't been able to get into my scrapbooking lately... I have no idea why. But then, I was motivated to do something fun and creative for Easter.

So where should I go but to MarthaStewart.com! 

I was originally on there looking for some alternative recipes from Weight Watchers. I found some good ones... but then I stumbled upon the arts and crafts.

She had sooo many creative ideas for decorating eggs outside the normal vinegar and food coloring. So, I decided to stretch my creative wings and try one, making beautiful eggs out of origami paper. 

It was messy, a little difficult for the perfectionist, and a challenge. PERFECT!

Grace and I also made the string egg that the origami eggs are laying in. She a didn't want to touch the wood glue and water, but she loved popping the balloon after the string had hardened! 

When it takes 30-45 minutes to create one egg, I had a lot of time to ponder WHY I was making a beautiful Easter Egg. It's bizarre, how we use non-religious symbols on the most wonderful day of the year, the day celebrating Christ conquering death by rising from the dead!

The Easter Egg is actually a pagan symbol. It was pre-Christian, in use in Spring celebrations by the Romans, Greeks, and Persians because it symbolized life. Christians then adopted it into their celebration of the Resurrection Sunday.  

I think it's a perfect symbol really. It's an egg, a beginning of New Life. But, it also came from Life. That Life came from Jesus Christ, who died, and rose again from the dead!  

Also, many eggs (as were mine) are blown eggs. The insides are removed to just have a hollow shell.  Again, a beautiful symbol of Jesus' empty tomb 2,000 years ago. That empty shell has such beautiful symbolism, that I thought it necessary to take the time and effort to make exemplary eggs to show my gratification for what He has done for me.

No comments: