Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I See...Volunteerism


Recently, someone asked me, what Grace and Justice were going to be "into" when they grew older; like gymnastics or basketball or something.

And I got thinking.

I have no idea. At the same time, I have a very good idea. 

I would like them to practice Volunteerism.

In this self-centered and self-betterment society, I see a very early in-breeding of self-absorption. 
"I want my child to be the best at [fill in the blank]! So, we are doing [fill in the blank] for him!"

"She really likes gymnastics...so we spend the money for her to do this..."

"I think understanding different cultures is important... so I am sending my child to German-day camp."

Whatever.

While I think that children involvement in things are good. Involvement and practices that work on skills that improve who we are, are good for people of all ages!

But we get stuck in it. As if each one of us is the center of our own universe.

And we don't see that there are causes and people right in front of us that could use our help, our expertise, our talents, to improve the world!

Woah.... that was a big step. Improve the world?! What are you talking about?!

That's exactly what I am talking about. Living life as if it wasn't about about yourself. Living life in front of your children, your spouse, your neighbors, to be an example that life is SO MUCH MORE than the best I can do! Improve the world!

Let me explain: I want my children to grow up to have compassion. I could send them to church. I could tell them about compassion. I could hold them and love them and show them compassion. Those are all good things... But there is PLENTY of that going on and I think we need to take it one step further.

Go with them and DO COMPASSION TOGETHER. Go and volunteer with a feeding ministry. Volunteer at a mentoring program together. Make an art project and bring it someone in the hospital. DO COMPASSION TO TEACH COMPASSION.

What are we truly teaching and showing others? Are we all about ourselves?

A wise person told me when I was frustrated that I couldn't find enough volunteers..... "People are busy with what they want to be busy with..."

What do we truly find to be eternally significant? What are we busy with?
Are those the same things?

I want my children to grow in CHARACTER. How do I do that? Well, I could tell them about character. Show them books and movies about people with good character. And reward them when they show good character... But I can't stop there.

I must MODEL GOOD CHARACTER. Let's put our money where we think the world needs benefit. Let's put our time into things that aren't all about us.

Self-Centered Generation/Society. Are YOU happy? What will make you happy? Go and achieve it! 

Most of the time, we really have no idea what makes us happy. Most of the time, scrubbing the floor of a make-shift garage for a Vacation Bible School doesn't sound like something that would make me happy. But it's a small stone of work. When others add their small stones, and people know the eternally wonderful difference of Jesus Christ... Those stones MEANT SOMETHING.  

When my small stone of work, gets added to the rest, what a MOUNTAIN of a difference it makes.

Let's Model That.

Let's Improve the World.

Live Beyond Yourself.



1 comment:

KaGe said...

while i was reading this, "brave" by nicole nordman was playing on your playlist...kinda made me feel like i was on the road driving somewhere thinking deep thoughts and generally enjoying life...nice work. strong words...a "new" message that should be broadcast daily to everybody...i just wish there were a way to speak louder so people can see that their self-centeredness is what's wrong with the world. it's why politics are dirty, why we're in such economic problems, and generally why so many people in need get swept under the rug. bravissimo betsy! bravissimo!