Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Creativity

It's kind of funny how you forget certain things about yourself. Or maybe you don't forget them, they just seem less important. Somehow something important about yourself gets stuffed in some back drawer of your mind, or to the bottom of a paper stack of "to-dos."

Finally, after some discussion, and finally got it out in words.

I have two very prominent parts of me: Justice and Creativity

Growing up, I focused a lot on Creativity. Art, the beauty of math, photography, painting, architecture, culture, thinking, theatre. All of this "left side brain" stuff was my life. I wanted to know Spanish fluently. I wanted to be in Theatre. I loved creating anything. I got into scrapbooking and photography.

Then, I learned more about Justice. Doing justice and understanding people. I LOVE my InterCultural Studies degree. I have used it more than I could even have imagined I would! I became involved in ministries--and that is where I have been ever since.

I still had some creative outlets, scrapbooking once in a while, photography, discovered a love for cooking/baking.

But this Creative side got pushed; pushed further and further into the back drawer. I would catch glimmers of it, but it was something I was good at that just kind of "came out" in my job every once in a while.

But that was enough it! It wanted to be loose!

Hence I started to really think about life and where God has ME going. God, there are two parts of me Justice and Creativity. They aren't so different, but how can I fuse them together? Become more of a whole person?

Well, it's slowly coming. I have had some ideas lately,

  1. I would clear off that dusty scrapbook table and organize all my resources.
  2. I am limiting my internet/computer time to less browsing and more productive digi-scrapping, blogging, and email/facebook. (PLAN of attack so that the computer just doesn't kill my day.
  3. Reading non-fiction books that also focus on my creative side, not just justice and Christendom.
  4. Listening to music more.
  5. Praying more.
I'm excited.

No comments: