Monday, December 6, 2010

Letting Go...of perfectionism

December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)
__________________________________________

I pondered this all day Sunday.

What have I "let go" of this year? Really, I think I have let go of a lot, but it's about keeping it "let go of" that is the hard part.

I let go of (or trying to let go of) perfectionism. Clean house, perfect food, perfect creativity, perfect "formula" of how to do life. I realized there is no perfect way to live life, from person to person, but I had to let go of the idea that there is a perfect way to live my own life. A perfect balance of motherhood, creativity, and control on things.

It's not going to happen. And trying to control my life to such perfectionism isn't going to drive me to perfection, but instead to legalism. One quote that really impacted me from earlier this year was,

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.
Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business."
Michael J. Fox

I am letting go of perfectionism, striving for excellence.

It's a work in progress.

No comments: