Brian and I love watching culture, especially youth culture, and seeing how it changes, grows, and speeds towards new trends and heights (and lows). We seem to be always watching and comparing.
My, how things have changed, and I became aware of this more over the past couple of days. My children are not of a culture that I will know. I couldn't fathom that. Their culture which is right now being created and so quickly growing, just as they are...will not be mine.
Let me explain.
Parents Generation:
I always love seeing pictures of my parents or relatives when they were little. Black and white or sepia photographs, cut with pinking sheers (or so it seems) in an odd square shape. There aren't many of them, and there are large gaps between the photographs. But, they are treasures. Who knew that my dad had a mass of blonde hair when he was two?! And wow, I look a lot like my mother even when she was still in diapers.
Then, video tape. I see videotape of their wedding... but nothing much before that.
Then, I was born...
My Generation:
Cameras were much more accessible. And then, when I was preschool and early elementary age, my life is on video tape. Grace and Justice will be able to see me grow up on video! What a
precious thing to show them. Of course, they will laugh at the dorky hair-do's, terrible clothing, and the southern accent that I had for awhile. But that is a treasure that I wasn't able to have of my own parents.
There is a closet full of albums where my sisters and I grow up right before your very eyes! First feedings, vacations, reunions, steps, school, plays, proms, and weddings. And most of that is on video too!
Generation to Come:
What about the newest generation? Already I see such a huge difference from high school of 6 years ago and now. Texting, internet, computers, websites, and blogging. It's all so different. What kind of generation will my children be in? What kind of culture will they have?
Their lives, are in video and photographs. Not hundreds like mine, but thousands. Already, I have over 8,000 photographs on my computer. Not all of them are of my children, but 8,000.
But here is what blew my mind away. Their lives will not only be recorded (as mine was), but broadcasted. There is a whole new reality in that. Not only will they get to look and pictures and video, but maybe they'll collect the emails, online albums, and blogs that have been set up. It's a whole new culture being developed.
It's not scary, it's not promising. It's just different...And how different it is.
So the pictures for my challenge for day 7 & 8 are below, and were opening my eyes to how much this next generation will be different.
Day 7
Day 8
The Next Technological Generation. Grace crawled up on my chair and started imitating momma. She used the mouse and pointed to things with it. She pushed the buttons and watched what would happen to the screen. She is so smart. I had to snap a picture, as a reminder that she's growing up in a culture so unlike my own. And I'll have to be diligent to raise her up in a way that she should go...and be able to decipher in her OWN culture what is beneficial or not.
"We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
his power, and the wonders he has done...
He commanded our forefathers to teach their children,
so the next generation would know them,
even the children yet to be born,
and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands."
Psalm 78:4-7






No comments:
Post a Comment